Thursday, April 4, 2013

New Boots and A Big Announcement

I mentioned in a post last week that I had gotten new rain boots and you would it hear more about them later.  Well, it's later!  A few months ago I wrote about how I needed a new pair of boots and I was debating on whether I should get another cheap pair to make it through the season or go ahead and invest in a good pair.  I actually ended up doing neither of those things.  I just decided to save money all together and make do with the old boots I had.  I super glued the broken buckle back together and made sure not to step in puddles that were deep enough to get inside the leak.  

Now the "good pair" of boots I had my eye on were a pair of Hunter rain boots, and I was pretty sure I wanted them in yellow. Well one night about a month ago I was at home reading when there was a knock on the door.  I went and opened it and there was no one there, but there was a UPS truck driving away and that's when I noticed the big package.  My mom sends me packages fairly often, so receiving one isn't totally out of the ordinary, but this was much larger than what she normally sends.  I had no idea what it could be or who it was from, and then I noticed on the mailing label that it was sent from Hunter Boots.  I grabbed a knife, cut all the packing tape, opened up the big brown box, and there inside of it was a beautiful, shiny black Hunter boot box!  I was almost giddy as I opened it up and saw the even more beautiful and shiny yellow rain boots that I wanted!  

I had a hunch that my sister had gotten them for me, because she had recently asked me a bunch of questions about what kind of new boots I wanted and when I planned on getting them.  I gave her a call and sure enough, they were from her!  She asked if I had seen the message she had included when she ordered them, so I dug around a little more in the box and found this envelope, which if you ask me, is pretty nice for a pair of rain boots ordered online.  And inside the envelope was this message...



Not quite sure what the N is for...


The big announcement is...I'm not just going to England, I'm moving to England!!!  At some point next year, probably/hopefully January, I will be moving to Birmingham, England, for at least a year!  I am going to be serving with Christian Missionary Fellowship International (CMF) through their Globalscope program, which focuses on international campus ministry.  The ministry there is called Canvas and serves students attending The University of Birmingham.  In many ways it reminds me a lot of The Well.  They have weekly services with worship and teaching, a leadership team of students, weekly Bible studies, fun social events, service opportunities, and even weekly meals together!  I don't know the specifics of what I'll be doing, other than just doing life with these students, with the intention of helping them come to know Jesus and grow in their relationship with Him  - which is what I'm doing now!

In order for me to pursue this opportunity like I need to, this semester will be my last on staff with The Well.  That is definitely a bittersweet realization.  I am excited to go, but it doesn't mean I won't miss what I'm leaving behind.  I know the Lord has called me to go though - so I'm going!  In the months ahead there will be more posts about the whole process of getting to this point, what life after The Well will look like, more about the ministry of Canvas, and about my future new home in Birmingham!  But for now I just wanted to go ahead and get this on the blog.  I can't wait to see all the things these feet are going to experience in the months ahead!


It's going to rain a lot there, which is why good boots are a must!



If you are interested, below are links to both CMF's website, and Canvas' website and facebook page!




3 comments:

  1. I totally thought you said Candace on the phone...i thought that was odd. Now i feel silly

    ReplyDelete
  2. yaaaaay!!! I am SO excited that you are going to England, and I'm excited that you have yellow Hunter rainboots to take with you! I can't wait to see all of the fun feet pictures you take wearing these in England :) Amanda and Jonathan are so thoughtful for getting you these!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...