Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Butternut Squash and Fettuccine

This is another Pinterest recipe that I made a few weeks ago.  It wasn't quite as good as I had hoped, but I think I know how to make it better and I'm definitely going to try it again.  For one thing, I over cooked the pasta, so that didn't help.  The recipe also called for either goat cheese, blue cheese, or shredded Parmesan.  When I went shopping for the ingredients the grocery store didn't have goat cheese, which I do like, they did have blue cheese, which I don't like, so that left me to use Parmesan.  But the Parmesan just melted into the pasta and you couldn't distinguish the taste at all.  Next time I make this I will find goat cheese, the sourness of it will be a good balance for the sweetness of the squash.  I also used the 4 teaspoons of sage like the recipe called for but I thought it was overpowering, I'll probably just use 2 1/2 next time.  But like I said, even with all these issues it was good enough for me to want to make it again.

Butternut Squash and Fettuccine

Ingredients
1/2 box of linguine *I actually used fettuccine
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups butternut squash pieces (about 1-inch pieces)
1/2 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium, fat free chicken broth *I used the chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage or 4 teaspoons dried sage
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese, blue cheese or shredded Parmesan cheese *I used Parmeson
Crumbled cooked prosciutto or bacon, optional *Bacon is never optional in my book :)
Additional cheese, optional *I topped it with grated Parmesan
Toasted chopped walnuts, optional *Did not use

Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pan; cover and keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in squash, wine and salt. Simmer 12 to 15 minutes just until squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sage.
  3. Toss squash with pasta and cheese. Sprinkle with prosciutto, additional cheese and walnuts, as desired.


1 comment:

  1. hm this sounds interesting. I saw a recipe for pumpkin alfredo and pasta the other day but I just don't know how I feel about mixing the squashes with my pasta! I did, however, try goat cheese for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...