Saturday, April 21, 2012

Heights and H20

I spent part of Wednesday afternoon on top of a 16-foot ladder, muttering things like "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh," and "Why am I up here?" to myself.   I had asked Seth if there was anything I could do to help get the stage ready and he said it would be a huge help if I could straighten out the lampshades.  

Background story on the lampshades:  We wanted to hang lots of large lamps from the stage ceiling for the banquet, but large lampshades are pricey, so we made them ourselves.  Once the house lights are dimmed and the lamps are lit, they look good, but it takes a lot to get them to that point.  Lots of messing with and readjusting.    

So back to Wednesday...We had decided to use the same set design from the banquet for the last two week's of the semester.  Which meant hanging up the lampshades again.  And when Seth said that's what needed to be done, I had a moment of "Ugh, anything but that!"  Because I knew that would mean getting up on the ladder.  I'm not scared of all heights, just heights that I can easily fall from - like 16-foot ladders.  But that's where I found myself Wednesday afternoon, muttering things under my breath and trying carefully not to fall off and onto the drum set below me.  And what didn't help the situation any?  The fact that I had worn my rainboots that day, and didn't have extra shoes with me.  I knew climbing up and down the ladder with boots on would be difficult, so I just took them off.  But climbing up and down the ladder in socks with no traction is dangerous!  I slipped once, and thankfully I was only two rungs from the bottom, but I swear I saw my life flash before my eyes!  In the end it was all worth it though, as it always is, because the stage looked great!

My socked feet on the ladder.
Looking down through the lampshade to the drum set below.
The finished product!  Even though the one above the drum set is still crooked :(




We had an event called Water Wars planned for Wednesday, and even though it was rainy and chilly, we decided to go ahead and have it.  Not many people came, I think there were 12 students, 11 of them being ministry team members, but we had a blast anyways!  We had organized games and relays, but when they were all done it turned into an all-out water fight.  There's something about water balloons and buckets that will turn anyone into an 8-year old again!

Dribble, dribble, SPLASH!


Pool toys relay.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...