Don't let the pictures above fool you, this recipe proved to be quite the challenge.
The first mishap was with the filling. In an effort to speed up the "softening" process I nuked the butter, which (not surprisingly) completely melted it. I used it anyways but it made the filling way too runny, so I had to toss it and start over.
The second problem was that I filled the muffin liners too full. Instead of just making the muffins taller, it made the tops spread over wider, and that made getting them out of the muffin tins quite difficult. 7 of them turned out like normal looking muffins, and 5 of them turned out like this...
Thankfully I was just making these for fun and didn't need the full dozen! So why don't we just focus on the pretty ones again?
Gooey Cinnamon Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners, or spray with cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients together with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together until consistency is similar to a loose frosting or pudding. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together butter, milk and eggs. In another bowl combine flour, oats, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and white chips.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined.
- Using half the batter, fill each muffin tin with 2 Tbsp batter. Then drop 2 tsp of filling into each tin. Finish, by dropping another 2 Tbsp of batter on top. Depending on the size of the muffin tin, you may get more than 12 muffins.
- Now sprinkle your topping evenly on the muffins (about 1 tbsp on each).
- Bake 20-25 minutes until centers are set.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Combine butter, sugar and milk, stirring until there are no lumps, adding more powdered sugar or milk until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle on muffins when ready to serve.
- Drizzle with glaze when ready to serve.
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 Tbsp softened butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
5 tsp water
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp softened butter
2 Tbsp milk