Friday, February 24, 2012

(Barely Made It) Breakfast Casserole

Monday night was my night to cook dinner for my community group, and I made breakfast for dinner, because it's my favorite!  I made biscuits, this hash brown casserole, and a breakfast casserole.  While the hash brown casserole was in the oven baking, I was putting together the breakfast casserole, which was a recipe I had never made before.  I had mixed all the ingredients together and then my heart sank when I read the next line: Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.  Refrigerate for 8 hours?!? Community group started in just a few hours!  What was I going to do?  I went ahead and poured it and wrapped it, put it in the freezer and prayed to the casserole gods.  It was in the freezer for about 40 minutes before I baked it.  When it came out it looked a little funny to me.  I'm used to breakfast casseroles being very fluffy, and this one was more flat and dense.  I don't know if that was just the recipe or due to my mistake.  I was nervous about how it would taste, but the little bite I tested seemed fine, and when I went to help clean up after community group was over, this was what the dish looked like:


People had gone back for seconds and ate it all up!  So I guess it turned out ok!


Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. ground pork sausage
  • 1 tsp. mustard powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes (I used wheat though)
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
 Directions
  • Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain. 
  • In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 
  • Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...