Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday Munchies

I'm writing this on Sunday evening, but scheduling it to release on Monday because I'll be gone on a retreat.  We're having a leadership retreat and I needed to make a snack to munch on.  A couple weeks ago at Wal Mart I noticed that they've come out with all these flavored marshmellows, one package was Caramel and Vanilla.  I didn't buy them, but have definitely been thinking about what I could do with them.  Then I thought that they would be great in Rice Crispie Treats!  So after church today I went to Kroger to pick up the marshmellows and Rice Crispies, but was so disappointed to find out that Kroger didn't have them. Nooo!  I really didn't feel like going over to Wal Mart.  And even though I had lots of recipes at home I wanted to try,  I didn't want to go home to find out what ingredients I needed and make another trip back.  So I was going to have to figure something else out while at Kroger, and I didn't want to make regular Rice Crispie Treats, so I turned around and looked at the cake mixes on the shelf behind me, since they have recipes on the sides.  That's when I found one for Peanut Butter Fudge Bars from Pillsbury and went with it!

Ingredients
1 package Pillsbury Moist Supreme Golden Butter Recipe Cake Mix
1 cup crunchy peanut butter (it called for Jif, but I used Kroger brand)
1/3 cup water
1 egg
1 16 oz. can of Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Chocolate Fudge Frosting
1/2 crunchy peanut butter
1 cup candy coated chocolate pieces aka M&Ms
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 350* and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl combine cake mix, 1 cup of peanut butter, water, and egg.  Spread into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown (I baked for 20).  Cool completely.

In a small bowl blend frosting and peanut butter, spread on cooled bars.

Is there a better combination than chocolate and peanut butter?  I think not!
 Top with M&Ms and chopped peanuts.

That is 1 cup of happiness!  My friend Sherri wrote the M&M people and asked them why they put ugly brown in with all the pretty colors.  And they wrote her back and said it was so people wouldn't confuse them with Skittles.  Who knew?!?
When Jenni and I lived together, she had this handy little chopper thing that I would use a lot when I cooked and baked.  Well, since I don't have one anymore, I had to improvise.  At first I put the peanuts in a Ziploc bag and beat them with a wooden spoon.  But that just resulted in the bag busting and peanuts flying everywhere.  So then I poured the peanuts in a mixing bowl and crushed them with the bottom of a can of soup.  Hey, whatever works!

So cheerful!

Oh. my. dear. sweet. goodness.  This is good!  And rich.  And for me to say something is rich, it's rich!

1 comment:

  1. This looks SO good! I think I need to make these! I love how you used a can to crush the peanuts! I usually use the ziploc bag method but hate when the bag rips :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...