Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bulletins = Friends (and Barberito's)

I've had a Barberito's gift card in my wallet for a while now, and it's really been calling my name lately.  For those of you who have never experienced Barbs, I am sorry, because it is sooooo good!   It's similar to Moe's or Chipotle.  I've never been to either of those two, so I can't say that Barb's is better, but it is wonderful!  They have deliciously crafted burritos and the best chips in town, seasoned perfectly.  A mini burrito on a spinach tortilla, with rice, black beans, chicken, cheese, salsa, lettuce, and mushrooms.  That's my usual.  If I'm feeling festive I'll add jalapenos.  So anyways, having the night free, I decided that it would be a good night to use the gift card.  I texted my friend Michael to see if he and his wife Haley had plans for dinner.  Unfortunately Haley had a class and couldn't come, but Michael could.  It's actually kind of ironic because I won the gift card at a Christmas party that Haley and Michael hosted.  And something else that's interesting is how Michael and I came to be friends.   My first semester on ministry teams with The Well was spring 2007, and I stood at the same door each week to hand out bulletins.  People can get name tags when they come in, and so it didn't take me too terribly long to start putting names with faces.  It was one of, if not the, very last weeks of the school year and I was at Applebees after The Well, which was the thing to do at the time.  I saw Michael and recognized him from coming through my door each Wednesday night and said something like "Hi! It's Michael, right?  I give you a bulletin each week."  I don't remember how he responded, but that was the first time we ever talked outside of The Well.  Now fast forward four or five months and we're at the first Well service of my junior year.  I'm standing at my door and here comes Michael, now remember we've only really talked once, but I was like "Michael!  Buddy!  Welcome back!" and we've basically been really good friends ever since.  True story.  I even caught the bouquet at his and Haley's wedding this past May, which was funny because the bouquet fell apart while flying through the air and I ended up catching just the stem basically.  But I'm so thankful that I always stood at the same door that spring, and that Michael always walked through it, because I eventually gained two good friends because of it!       

At Barbs tonight.
Hahaha!  The Well's Barn Dance, fall 2008.
At my senior photo exhibit, spring 2009
The bouquet catch, it falls apart right after the picture is taken...

See all the roses on the ground?

But it's ok, we put it back together again!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...