Saturday, February 19, 2011

Quack!

I'm so lucky!  Today was another perfect Saturday!  I slept in, made breakfast, spent time with Jesus, and then got ready for a fun afternoon.  When I looked at the forecast a couple days ago and saw that today was supposed to be nice, I knew exactly what I wanted to do: go to the covered bridge in Elizabethton, feed the ducks, then sit on a blanket and read.  And then I had an even better idea, I would share it with someone!  When I love something, I want other people to love it too, and since I love that little spot in Elizabethton, someone else needed to be introduced to it.  Thankfully Jillian was free and so was Kathryn, one of the girls in my small group this year.  I didn't give them any details about the afternoon, just told them to bring a few bucks for lunch, dress to be outside, and bring a book or something to work on.  They met me at my house and we headed out.  We stopped at Dollar General so I could buy a few things, but I made the girls stay in the car and then hid the bag behind my back until I got it into the trunk.  We stopped at Sonic and grabbed lunch, and while we were waiting for the food to come out, I realized that it was still really chilly.  I was worried because the afternoon would not be fun if we were freezing.   We drove down to the bridge, my "happiness place," and then found a picnic table to eat at, bundled under the blankets I grabbed from my trunk.  After we finished eating I got all excited as I pulled a loaf of bread out of my bag and said "We're going to feed the ducks!"  When I was in school this was one of my favorite things to do and the best remedy for a bad day!  If I believed in reincarnation, I would want to come back as a duck.  They get to swim all day and people throw food right at them to eat, sounds like the life to me!  We spent probably the next half hour throwing bits of bread at the ducks and geese, and it was so much fun!  We loved watching them waddle around and shake their feathered little butts!  The geese would even eat right out of our hands!  When the bread was gone we laid out the blankets and found that it had warmed up, thank goodness!  I read and the girls worked on homework.  Every now and then I would stop and blow bubbles (I picked them up at Dollar General when I got the bread).  It was wonderful to spend an afternoon doing things that make me smile and laugh, but it was even more fun being able to share the experience and see the girls get to enjoy it too.

Here they come!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...