Sunday, June 3, 2012

Mocha Coconut Community

My plan for the afternoon was to run a few errands, and then go to Starbucks and read for a while.  But when I got done with my errands I kind of just wanted to go home, where I knew it would be nice and quiet, but in the end decided to go, and I am so glad I did.  For one thing, I ordered a Mocha Coconut Frappuccino, which is my favorite summer time drink from Starbucks.  But more than that, when I had pulled in I saw some good friends sitting on the patio, one who I hadn't seen in about month, and really enjoyed talking with them for a while.  After they left, two other friends that I went to Milligan with came out to the patio.  We were all involved in Res Life, and I had a lot of classes with Kristin, so it was really fun to catch up with them.  And they told me that two other friends from Milligan who now live out of state were in for the weekend and would be stopping by too.  So when I finally left, I thought about how great it was to see all these people.  People who, over the past 5 years I have spent a lot of time with and have played significant roles in my life at different times.  The word that immediately came to mind was community.  I thought about how God created us for community.  Genesis 1:27 says, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him..."  God is part of the trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  God is always in community.  God is community; and we are created in His image.  I know there are extroverts and introverts, outgoing people and shy people, but even for the latter of these, it doesn't mean we are meant to go through life alone.  We are meant to live our lives in community with others.  That doesn't mean you are supposed to spend every moment of every day with a huge group of people, letting them know every detail of your life.  But it does mean we are supposed to share our lives with others, our joy and our pain, the exciting parts and the mundane parts - we were created to live our lives with other people, and I am so thankful for that, aren't you?!?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...