Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Writing On The Window

As the title of my last post reveals, I like to rearrange things.  I also like to repurpose and redecorate things, and I've been at it again.  When I first moved in I had a window hanging up in my living room, which was then replaced with this painting of China, which had been a part of The Well's 365:24/7 series.



But recently I've wanted to put the window back up, but I wanted to spiff it up about.  In the past I'd thought about putting pictures behind the glass or pretty paper, but then I had the brilliant idea of writing something on the glass, and decided to use some of my favorite scripture verses.  I started by typing them up and finding a font I liked.  I wanted something cursive like but couldn't find any that I thought would work well, so I ended up using Just The Way You Are which I downloaded from dafont.com.  Then I printed them off and taped them to the back of the window panes.  This was the most frustrating part actually.  It was hard to get them centered and straight because I couldn't really mark on the glass to give me any reference points.  



But after they were taped in place I simply traced over the words with a paint marker, like this one.  If you like to be crafty and have never used one of these, you need to check them out!  They come in different sizes and are perfect for painting words on a variety of surfaces; I've used them on glass, wood, and canvas so far.  Even though I was using a fine-point marker, it was too thick to be able to mimic the font exactly, but I still like the way it turned out!  Since the words are white you don't really notice them right away, but I like the subtlety of it.  I think I'm going to do this same thing on the red window frame I have in my kitchen, but I'll try it in a darker paint color. 





And these are the verses that I used, in the original font:

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever.  The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.  Psalm 19: 7-8

Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.  Psalms 37:3-7

Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord. Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart—they do no wrong but follow his ways. You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed. Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees! Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands. I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws. I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.  Psalms 119:1-8


I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. For as the soil makes the sprout come up and garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations.  Isaiah 61:10-11

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations. Isaiah 61:1-3

 Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love it would be utterly scorned.  Song of Songs 8:6-7

1 comment:

  1. Aimee I love the idea of verses on the glass! It turned out really well and I like the font you chose :) And all of the verses are so good, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...