Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Monday Continued: Chocolate Mint Cookies

All of the following pictures were taken yesterday and were intended to be on yesterday's post, but it got to be too late and I needed to go to bed.  So I did.  And so you're getting them today...
Every other week or so I make some sort of dessert for The Well band when they practice on Tuesday nights.  Earlier in the semester I made my Chocolate Mint Cookies and they were a huge hit.  Huge!  When I made them a second time, Henry even took some for himself and hid them from everyone else.  Two weeks ago I figured I'd let them request the last dessert of the semester and my "conversation" with Henry went something like this...

Me: Since there are only two weeks of The Well left, which desser...
Henry: MINT COOKIES! We want the Mint Cookies!

So that settled it, I'd be making Chocolate Mint Cookies Monday night.  I figured I'd get right to work on them and started making the dough as soon as I got home from work.  I looked down at one point and realized that the combination of Chaco's and a pink, plaid apron was slightly odd, but at the same time, completely me.

And I've never posted a recipe, let alone taken pictures of me cooking something, but figured it would be a good time to start!

Chocolate Mint Cookies:
3/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tbl. water
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 packages of Andes mints, broken in half

Step 1) In a saucepan over medium heat melt butter, brown sugar, and water.  Remove from heat and add chocolate chips until melted.  
Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.




This smells so good!  It's hard not to eat it alone!

Step 2) Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl and beat in eggs one at a time. 

Step 3) Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to the chocolate mixture and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.


Step 4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray cookie sheets with non-stick spray or use parchment paper, which I recommend.  Roll dough into walnut sized balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.  The dough can be really thick when it comes out of the fridge, almost like fudge.  I usually use an ice-cream scoop to get it out, and then roll it into balls.  Bake for 8-10 mintues.

Step 5) When cookies come out of the oven, place half of an Andes mint on top of each cookie.  Let them sit for about 1 minute and then use the back of a spoon or a knife to spread the melted mint on top of the cookie.  Let the chocolate cool and set before serving.



The finished product! 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...