Saturday, April 16, 2011

Squeaky Clean

Today we had Service Saturday again, where we have different service projects around the community that the students can volunteer for.  Today one of the projects was at The Well house, doing landscaping and cleaning.  I spent the day inside with two other girls and we cleaned the entire office (minus the basement) from top to bottom and wall to wall, and it needed it badly.  With so many people in and out all week, it gets dirty quickly and we don't have time to clean it every week, so today was a huge blessing.  After we finished cleaning inside I went outside where the guys had been working all day and did a little bit of work out there.  By the time I left I was tired and dirty and thought that a bubble bath would be wonderful, and when I checked my mail I was super excited that my next copy of Real Simple had come.  Perfect!  I could read it in the tub.  I've come to learn that reading in the tub is one of those things that sounds fabulous in theory, but is quite difficult in real life.  You have to hold it up high enough that none of it will get in the water and turning the pages is an ordeal too.  And even though every time I do it I'm reminded that it's difficult, I continue to do it.  Today's reading in the tub session was quite disastrous, but humorous too.  I got a text, so I reached up to grab my phone that was sitting on the back of the toilet and managed to knock off this glass apothecary jar that has q-tips in it.  As it crashed and clanked and sent q-tips flying, I forgot that I was holding a magazine and dropped the corner of it into the tub.  Even after that episode, I kept reading and was able to finish the whole magazine!  Well, I didn't read the whole magazine, but I looked at every page.  After I cleaned my room up some I was ready to blog and wanted to have a movie on in the background, and You've Got Mail seemed like the perfect one.  I'd already packed it up, but it was on the top of the box, so thankfully I didn't have to unpack much.  You've Got Mail is my all time favorite movie.  I could watch it every day and never get tired of it.  If I could be any character from a movie, I would want to be Kathleen Kelly.  She is cute and quirky, lives in an adorable New York City apartment, and owns a children's book store.  The movie also has some amazing lines, and these are some of my favorites:

Kathleen: What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you. 

Frank: What about you? Is there someone else?   
Kathleen: No. No, but... but there's the dream of someone else

Joe: Kevin, this is possibly the most adorable creature I've ever been in contact with, and if she turns out to be as good looking as a mailbox... I would be crazy enough to turn my life upside down and marry her. 


Kathleen: When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does.

Kathleen: Why did you stop by again? I forget.
Joe: I wanted to be your friend.
Kathleen: Oh. 
Joe: I knew it wasn't... possible. What can I say, sometimes a guy just wants the impossible.
 
Joe: [about "NY152"] Maybe he's fat. He's fat. He's a fatty.
Kathleen: I don't care about that.
Joe: You don't care that he's so fat, he's one of these guys that has to be removed from his house by a crane? You don't care?
Kathleen: [snickering] That is very unlikely. That is completely ridiculous.


Kathleen: Wow, I keep on bumping into you.
Joe: Yeah.
Kathleen: I hope your mango's ripe.
Joe: I think it is. Hey, you want to bump into me on, say, Saturday around lunchtime? Over there? 


Joe: You know, sometimes I wonder...
Kathleen: What?
Joe: Well... if I hadn't been Fox Books and you hadn't been The Shop Around the Corner, and you and I had just, well... met...
Kathleen: I know.
Joe: Yeah. I would have asked for your number, and I wouldn't have been able to wait twenty-four hours before calling you and saying, "Hey, how about... oh, how about some coffee or, you know, drinks or dinner or a movie... for as long as we both shall live?"
Kathleen: Joe...
Joe: And you and I would have never been at war. And the only thing we'd fight about would be which video to rent on a Saturday night.
Kathleen: Well, who fights about that?
Joe: Well, some people. Not us.
Kathleen: We would never.
Joe: If only.

1 comment:

  1. you've got mail is one of my favorite movies too!! we watched it last week and i was loving every moment and thankfully caleb kind of liked it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...